Wednesday, May 13, 2015

From My Facebook TL: Pulling The Plug On Religion Adventure

d

Pulling The Plug On Religion Adventure
For years I have been having problem with my stand on religion. I am an off-and-on religionist. I have taken several shots at atheism but something kept reminding me of an uncaused Cause, the first cause. I at a time stopped seeking empirical evidences, I tried polytheism. I backed my move with argument that since there are many religions there must be many gods because one God cannot be saying different things to the same people at the same time.
Not satisfied with my stand as a polytheist as the whole journey was full of contradictions, I tried neutralism. I concluded that since disbelieving in an omnipotent God has brought nothing but more confusion, and believing in several gods has neither solved my problem, Agnosticism should proffer a succor. As an agnostic, I found myself trying so hard to disprove God’s existence than buying into religionist arguments which made me more of an atheist than agnostic.
Back to religion with the view that perhaps God does speak the same truth to people all around the world, human discernment differs. God must be eternally the same, people of different times and cultures perceived God’s messages differently. I am convinced that religions are many lights of one candle- God. Of all religions I have read about and practiced, Islam makes the most sense to me – it’s the brightest light- others to me are a little bit off. Maybe because I am by virtual of birth a Muslim.
Though raised by a Christian mum and spent quite some time with my maternal grandmother, a traditionalist. Christianity and our own religion confuse me the more. They left so many questions unanswered. I am not condemning other religions, each religion, I believe is best for those who believes in it. Islam I think is the best for me. I have been able to carry on without looking back in my belief and prayers for weeks now. All thanks to Allah and my girlfriend that keeps reminding me of Solat every now and then. Never again shall I look back.
Now the problem is my ever inquisitive self. I find it difficult to accept that everything should be taken the way they are said to be. I do not believe that an idea should be sacrosanct beyond questioning. Even at my best to live by the basic tenet of Islam, stringent laws like abstinence from worldly music and consumption of some foods and drinks that I consider pleasurable are still difficult for me to abide by. I recognized now that I have reached the destination of my religion adventure. I am glad to be back to the very cradle of my belief and I pray that Allah make it easy for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment